July 14, 2009

DIY or pre-packed: Choosing social media channels


The "Come Play" website seeks to get Aussies involved in the bid for the FIFA World Cup. From what I can tell from their complex site, you have to complete tasks to earn points. I can't seem to work out to what end, although I just uploaded a pic of a plate of rissoles and got 150 points (yeeeesssss!!!)

This is user-generated content gone mad. What on earth are they going to use all this content for and how effective will it be in cementing a win?

If it's just a numbers game in terms of generating support, would Come Play have had more success if it used existing social media platforms such as facebook and twitter to drive engagement? The act of having to set up yet another account replete with username, password, details about me etc etc is, I imagine, a massive deterrent to many, especially when the reward seems to be rather small (the closest thing I could find to a prize was an exclusive wrist band and scarf). Is there a way you can import all these details from an existing profile?

The bid is 16 months, 2 weeks and 5 days away (as the site tells me) so I will reserve final judgment as to the utility of this campaign till then.

But considering that after the binge of 2008, people are facing overload, and starting to trim the fat from their Social Networks, I reckon it will pay off to either reward richly and simply (a whopper today is worth twenty next year), or stick to using existing platforms to avoid deterring fans with more forms

No comments:

Post a Comment